Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Why I Have Type 1 Diabetes

I have Type 1 diabetes, which is a auto-immune disease.  It's a debatable as far as what the trigger is that makes some people get it. All that's known for sure, is that my own body attacked the cells that produce insulin, so I don't make my own.  Instead, I inject insulin throughout the day... mainly when I eat anything. 

Not to sound too much like my dad BUT... he always, always, always brags about how he never gets sick-Like him... rarely do I get sick. (knock on wood) Sometimes, I feel like I'm coming down with something, but my body seems to fight if off before I actually declare myself SICK.

Last night, I woke around 3am feeling awful.  I was chilled and achy and a little nauseated.  I thought for sure I would be in bed all day today feeling miserable. But when I woke up this morning around 7am, I felt a little off, not 100%, but I was able to go on about my day.  And now, later in the afternoon, I'm feeling even better.

I like to believe that I have a very strong immune system.  My own non-scientific explanation of why I have Type 1 is because my immune system is so hyper-vigilant, that it actually just overdid it one day and went nuts on those insulin producing cells, mistaking them for an intruder that needed to be taken out...  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

No comments: