Sunday, January 8, 2017

I'm Keeping Him

Like I said in my post yesterday, I have a thing for vintage costume jewelry.

Also, like I said, I opened up my online shop, Resparkable Vintage, so that I could make a little money to support my habit. I recreate, or repurpose vintage jewelry into new, more wearable pieces.  I also sell some pieces in their original condition, if they're in great condition and don't need any repairs.  Sometimes, it's hard letting certain items go, but I just remind myself that the more I sell, the more I can buy!  And, I want to spread these pretty things around- there's really no good reason to hoard them and keep them all to myself.

So, when I ran across this little penguin pin, I fully intended to sell him.  I even went so far as to list him in my shop late Friday afternoon.

such a dapper little fellow!
He's over 50 years old, but he still sparkles and looks pretty flawless to me!  He's got 9 (my lucky number!) royal blue rhinestones on his belly, and the rest of him is a brushed gold tone metal. He's a signed J.J. (Jonette Jewerly Co.) figural pin, which are highly collectable little pins. 

Knowing how special he is, I figured my days with him were numbered, so I pinned him to a baby blue sweater I wore to a dinner party on Friday night.  He added just the right amount of sparkle I needed, and although he's small, he does make a statement.

This morning, as I was getting dressed, I decided to pin him to another sweater... and again, he added the perfect amount of sparkle and made me feel so happy. 
say hello (again) to my little friend
Throughout the day, I kept thinking of all the things I could pin him to, and how cute he'd look on all of it. Except....I knew he'd be waddling off into the sunset with some other girl soon.  I was just keeping him warm for the next lucky person.

I posted something on Facebook about him, and wrote something about my fondness for him.  My brother wrote, "Maybe he's a keeper." The second I read that, I knew that was true.  Maybe someday I'll be ready to sell him, but not today!  He is a keeper. Why in the world was I selling him if I feel this way about him? 

So nope, he won't be waddling off into the sunset with anyone else... He's my lucky little penguin and I'm keeping him!

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I think you made the right decision! He's so cute. I feel that now he needs a name. For some reason, Popper is coming to mind. :)

Kerri said...

yes, I think you're right! :)
and guess what? I'm wearing him again today. he's my new BFF.