Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Getting Over You

I finished reading You 5 days ago.
YOU by Caroline Kepnes
I'm not going to write a review of this book, but I'll just say, the book was very creepy in the best way.  The narrator was a sociopath--- so that gave it an edge over other suspense thrillers I could compare it to.  It was just so crazy, and sick and enjoyable!  The perfect summer read, if you don't mind having a few nightmares along the way.

However, since finishing that book, I've picked up and tried to start reading at least half a dozen other books.  I'm not sure if I'm just having a hard time focusing because I'm distracted by life (and I am), or if I'm picking up boring books.  OR, is it that You has temporarily ruined me when it comes to reading?

Today I picked two more books from the library, hopeful that they might be the antidote to You. Reading the book jackets, and being familiar with the authors, they seemed like reasonable choices.  But then I made the mistake of reading Amazon ratings and reviews, and neither sounded worth the read.  Going to Amazon reviews first is never really a great move.  You can read good and bad reviews on any book out there.  It would be better for me to just form my own opinion once I'm about 50 pages in. 

Funny Girl by Nick Hornby
So that's what I'm going to do with this book, Funny Girl by Nick Hornby. It deserves a chance! I've liked a few of his other books, (About a Boy comes to mind immediately), and is his first book in about 5 years.  On the jacket of the book, it says that it's about a young woman whose heroine is Lucille Ball.  I realized I happen to be wearing one of  my I Love Lucy t-shirts today.  Oh, and my dog's names are Lucy and Ricky.  I  obviously have at least something in common with the girl in this book! It takes place in 1960s London, and the main character, "Sophie Straw"  gets cast in a BBC sitcom and becomes a comedy starlet- A British Lucy!  Sounds cute enough to give it a go. Screw those Amazon reviews.  I'll read them after I finish the book- or at the very least, the first 50 pages.

I don't think this book is going to be You, or anything like You- but maybe it can be a decent rebound book.

No comments: