Monday, April 27, 2015

Winning and Losing

This weekend, I sang at a Fundraising Gala for the Bath House Cultural Society.  I love White Rock Lake, here in Dallas- which is where the Bath House is located, so I was happy to take part in the event.

The night came with a few unexpected surprises.

While I was singing, Fermin bought us some raffle tickets.  After my set was over, we went to the table of prizes you could enter to win.  There were about 8 gift baskets to chose from, and there was one I really wanted- mainly because it looked like a birdcage, with vintage bird ornanaments hanging on it. Inside the cage were several different cute notepads.  I put all 4 of my tickets in that one basket and exclaimed to Fermin, "I have a feeling I'm actually gonna win this!"  That feeling was so strong, and hopeful, that I posted this photo on Instagram with the caption, "I'm about to win this." 
I'm about to win this!
Well guess what?!  I WON!  Affirmations and visualizations, which I have been practicing lately, really work!

I didn't even realize all the things in that basket, until I got home and took everything out of the birdcage!  I got:
* a pair of tickets to the Nasher Sculpture Center
*the birds!
*notepads, a notebooks, and a couple of small journals
*fancy pencils with a cute pencil holder bag
*a pair of tickets to some theatre production I've never heard of, but am excited to go to!


shoes, post explosion
Although the night was lucky for me, it wasn't all lucky. 

At some point in the night, my shoes started feeling a little soggy. I looked down at my shoes as I stood up from my seat and it seemed I had stepped in a cupcake!  I had little white cake crumbs all around my feet, and white fluff covering the heel of my shoe.  When I tried to wipe the supposed cupcake off of my shoe I realized that my heel had just sort of exploded and the contents of it were spilling out where ever I stepped.  It just wasn't just one shoe, by the way-- it was both! And with every step I took, I was getting shorter and leaving a trail of breadcrumbs behind.

Eventually, I noticed a maintenance man with a broom and dust pan sweeping up after me.  It was only a matter of time before he realized I was the culprit of all of his extra clean up work. 

So I took off my shoes, apologized to the man cleaning my mess up, and put my shoes in a trash bag.

You win some, you lose some.

No comments: