Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Book Abandonment

I love to read. 

I'm one of the few people I know that still uses the public library.  I have a Kindle, and I have an Apple Mini, but I still prefer a good old fashioned printed book.  Unless it's a big thick one. 

I used to drudge through every single book I started.  Sometimes, a book I had to force myself to get through made me avoid reading, day after day- because I just didn't care about it.  Eventually, I'd finish it, and hopefully move on to the next and better book.

But these days, I realize, life is short.  And the list of books I want to read is long. And getting longer all the time.  So on the (rare) occasion I begin a book that I'm either bored by, annoyed by, or for whatever reason just am not enjoying, I move on.  Even if it's one that was recommended to me.  We are all moved by different things.  The book one person- or many people- loves, may just not be anything that interests me. 

today's pics from the public library
I abandoned a book earlier today.  And let me tell you, it felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I went to the library to return it, and while I was there, I ran across a few books that I ended up bringing home.  The one I've just started seems right up my alley, and now I'm all excited about getting in the tub later tonight to read.  No more drudging around with the previous one.  Whew.

Book abandonment.  I highly recommend it.




No comments: