Monday, June 16, 2014

My New Dexcom!

I recently got a Dexcom constant blood glucose monitor. 

Because I'm a Type 1 diabetic, I check my blood sugar pretty often- before meals, before workouts, before bed, and sometimes, if I'm feeling funky, other times throughout the day.  It usually works out to be between 6 and 8 times I day I prick my finger to check it.  And that sounds like I do it often.  But when you think about it, there are lots of times I have no idea what my blood sugar is doing.

For example, while I'm asleep.  For all I know, it spikes up, down and all around.  Occasionally I wake up (usually from some strange nightmare) in a sweaty, trembling mess, and have to get some sugar in me to treat a low blood sugar.  Other than that...no idea.

I want to live the longest, healthiest life I can, so it's in my best interest to keep a tight control on my blood sugars. 

That's why I got this Dexcom. 

Now I can see what my blood sugar is doing all the time.  I can treat a high or low reading that much quicker!
My blood sugar graph of the past couple of hours.
When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, it seemed so complicated and overwhelming.  Much like this Dexcom does right about now!  But now diabetes, it's just a little part of my life.  Taking the shots and checking my blood sugars are as common and easy as brushing and flossing my teeth. I know this Dexcom will feel that way soon. 

Last week, I went to the doctor's office to get help with my initial insertion of the Dexcom sensor.  It seemed like so much to remember, and there seemed to be so many ways I could potentially screw things up.  It has to be replaced weekly, and this morning I did it all by myself! No crying, no fainting!!  I didn't screw anything up.  Yay, Me!
TAH DAH!  Dexcom G4 insertion success!
I was just a little overly cautious and anxious. Next time, I'll be even better.

No comments: