Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Jonatha Brooke's "My Mother Has 4 Noses" in NYC

I'll start with the reason we went to NYC this past weekend, as well as the highlight of the trip.

"my mother has 4 noses"
My favorite singer/songwriter, Jonatha Brooke, currently has a show just off Broadway called "My Mother Has Four Noses", which contains 10 songs, and lots of stories, weaved together- All about her mother, who she cared for the last couple of years of her life, as she was in the late stages of Alzheimer's. 

There is a CD that Jonatha released in February, also titled "My Mother Has Four Noses".  All the songs in her play are on the CD.  Like all of her CDs, I love this one.  However, this one feels even more personal than her others, and I relate to it-- So much so that one song in particular brings me to tears every single time I hear it.  It's called "Time".



As I was planning this trip to see Jonatha's show in NYC, I was considering all the weekends and dates that it played. (It opened in mid- February, and runs thru the first weekend in May) It quickly got narrowed down to a few weekends that Fermin and I were free... That got further narrowed down to when my neighbors were available to care for my dogs.  We decided to go the this past weekend, and in particular to the Saturday matinee.

A few weeks ago, I was walking my pooches, just feeling very grateful that we had booked the trip.  I was also thinking about how surprising it is that after nearly 9 years of losing my mom, a song can bring me to such feelings of loss and grief...still.  Then it dawned on me that yes, it was just about 9 years ago she died.  In fact, holy guacamole, she died 9 years ago March 29... The same date we had our tickets to go see "My Mother Has 4 Noses".  I didn't even make the connection until after it was booked?!?!  I know that is no coincidence!
Me and Fermin, just before the start of the "My Mother Has 4 Noses" show!
my feet, viewed from my front row seat!

We had front row seats, and the theater was very small. So I felt like I was sitting in Jonatha's living room as she told stories and sang her gorgeous songs about her mom.  (And mine!)

The show, of course, was great.  I knew it would be.  I knew I'd cry and I did.  I knew I'd be inspired and I was.

After the show was over, I got to meet Jonatha.  The way they had us exit the theater, we all walked right by her, so clearly, she was wanting to meet her audience, which I think is so nice!  Still, had Fermin not initiated the conversation, I wouldn't have had the nerve to speak to her, other than just a little "thank you"-  I was starstruck.  But Fermin broke the ice, and I did get to thank her, plus say just a bit more.  After walking away, Fermin said, "We should have gotten your picture with her!  Wanna go back?"  And so, thanks to Fermin, we did.  And I got my picture with my favorite, favorite songwriter!
Me and Jonatha Brooke! 
The show runs for just a few more weekends.  If you can get yourself to NYC, go see it!  It's sweet, funny, heartbreaking, poignant... It's everything!

I'll post more pics of the rest of our time in NYC later in the week.  For now, I'll just relish in this portion of the trip!

No comments: