Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Cheese Souffle in a Crock Pot

I got a huge cookbook at the library the other day, full of slow cooker recipes.  1400 recipes full!  It's called Fix-It and Forget-It.
the beloved crock*pot
I've made some yummy things over the past week or so in my crock pot, thanks to this book.  I'll share some of those recipes on the blog, starting today.

Last night I made this one:
I only made a few minor changes, mostly to make 2-3 servings , rather than 4.

I used only 10 slices of bread (wheat), 2 cups of reduced fat sharp cheddar, just a few little dabs of butter, 5 eggs, 2 cups skim milk, 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce.  I reduced the salt just a little as well.
I loved this recipe because it was super fast and easy, didn't require many ingredients, and could be ready to eat in as little as 4 hours, or as many as 6. 

ingredients in...
I was able to fix it in about 5 minutes, put all my ingredients in the crock pot and forget about it while I went running errands and walking pups.  All the while, my house was smelling better and better!
...and 4 hours later
Although the recipe called this a "souffle", it was a little more like a quiche.  We had it for dinner, which was fine (I made a spinach salad to go with it), but it would be ideal for brunch, too!  It would also be great to throw a few veggies in it, or even some diced chicken.

No comments: