Wednesday, October 2, 2013

For Sentimental Reasons

The last enthusiastic thing my mom ever said to me was, "Oh! I want you to have my bike!"  She died within a week or two after that.  So of course, I was so happy to have that bike of hers! What a fun and happy gift she left me.

Fast forward several years later, and my sweet brother gave me a one speed cruiser bike I nicknamed Pinky Tuscadero. 
Me and Pinky, about to head of on a Michael Jackson memorial bike ride
I loved Pinky, and Mom's bike sort of took a back seat for a while, and just sat in the garage for months.  And months.  And months.

One day, Fermin and I  ran into a friend, who told us her bike had been stolen out of her garage.  Since I had an extra bike sitting around (and Fermin was so annoyed by the space it was taking up), I told her she could use mine until she got one.  But I made it clear, I wasn't giving away the bike, I was loaning out Mom's bike.

Fast forward again, about a year later...

Pinky is at my brother's being photographed so I can sell her, and he's going to get me a Villy Custom Cruiser instead, because hello?!?!  He's Fleetwood, owner of Villy Custom Cruiser Bikes.  Of course his sister should be a riding billboard for the brand!  Until I get a new one, (and because he's giving it to me, I'm certainly not making a single demand on when I get it!) I'm without a bike at all.  And the weather is just so nice right now for bike riding.  And I keep thinking about Mom's bike.  And I miss her.  And... And... And  I WANT THE BIKE BACK!

So I texted my friend and told her just that, and could I pick it up one night this week.  She said of course. It seemed to be all good.

UNTIL, I asked Fermin what night we could pick up Mom's bike.  He gave me a look like I was the stingiest, cruelest friend ever.  He thought it was just so wrong of me to ask for it back.

I stewed about it it, worried about it, lost sleep about it.  I thought maybe I didn't say the bike was on loan, and maybe I was wrong in asking for it back. Maybe I'm just a crazy, stingy bitch. But then this morning, I texted my friend, explained that I hoped nothing was miscommunicated, and I hope she wasn't mad that I wanted the bike back.

I am so glad I expressed myself and cleared the air.  Fermin's opinion was just Fermin's opinion.  Maybe it's not what he would've done.  Although, maybe, if he had lost his Mom, he would better understand the sentimentality of that bike.

From his standpoint, it was just taking up extra space in the garage.  But from how I see it, SO WHAT?!  Even if that bike is strictly ornamental, and I never even ride it, I want it.  Always.  I don't mind lending it to a friend, because I know Mom would like that, but when I want it back, I don't want to feel guilty about it.

My friend, of course, said she totally understood, and that I had communicated how sentimental it is, and she knew it was just a loaner.

Fermin and I will never see eye to eye on this, but that is totally okay with me.  I'm getting my mom's bike back, and I can't wait to ride it!


No comments: