Friday, April 5, 2013

Vintage Clip Earrings- Before and After

I've recently gotten reaquainted with a childhood friend.  Growing up, Ann lived right across the street from me.  Because we graduated from the same high school, we saw each other at a reunion a few years ago, and we've been Facebook friends since that.

One day, Ann messaged me and told me she had seen the repurposed jewelry I had started selling in my Etsy shop,  ResparkableVintage.  She said she had just cleaned out a drawer of old costume jewelry that had been her grandmother's and asked if I wanted it.

Well, of course I do!

So we met up one afternoon at Starbucks and she gave me a whole bag full of stuff- pins, brooches, beads, chains and earrings!

There was one pair of earrings she had set aside and told me she liked them, but didn't wear clip earrings.  She asked me to make her "something" with them.  She was very non-specific, saying it could be a pair of earrings, a necklace, or whatever.  And she also said, "No hurry."
Vintage Clip Earrings- "Before"
It was such a fun meet up with Ann that day.  Not only did I get a bag full of jewelry, but I got to catch up with a childhood friend who I had fallen out of touch with around age 11!  So we decided to set up a lunch date a couple of weeks later.

So last week, we met... and I gave her the "new" earrings, repurposing the ones she had given me.
Repurposed Vintage Earrings- "After"
I wanted them to look similar to what they already were, but add a little extra bling to them...And of course, turn them into pierced earrings.  I also didn't want them to feel too heavy, or tug at the earlob.  Ouch.

She seemed to like what I had created.  It was so fun for me to make them for her!

This time at our lunch date, we did less catching up, and more just getting to know each other.  Super fun.  And I owe it all to the vintage costume jewelry!  :)



2 comments:

Valerie said...

I LOVE them!!! You did a great job!

As I mentioned before, I might have a similar task for you. I recently got some pieces from my grandma's collection. I wish we could meet in person so I could show you, but I'll send you some pictures to see if you might be inspired. (Again, ONLY if you're up for it!)

Kerri said...

valerie! i'm totally up for it! we could just send pics back and forth as i'm working on them to make sure it's what you want... that's how i did it with the girl who made lucy and ricky's custom collars.

i'd LOVE to do it for you!

:)