Tuesday, March 5, 2013

March Sadness

I've been so enjoying reading The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe this past week or so, and today I am down to the final two chapters.

I've been in no rush to get to the end.  I have savored each chapter.  It has reminded me so much of my time with Mom, toward the end of her life.  Things I hadn't thought about in a while.

Like Mom, the author's mom had a terminal cancer.  He and his mom both loved to read, and so this is a memoir about their book "club" of two.  Many of their book and life  discussions were during her chemo treatments.  Mom and I had a similar book club.  We just never called it that.
 
Of course, I only know what the experience was like from my perspective.  I felt both sad and lucky to know Mom's time here was limited.  I can only imagine what it was like for her.  From what she said to me, I know her main concern was making sure everyone else would be okay.  I even remember her comforting ME one day as I cried.  I feel bad about that, but at the same time, that was just Mom.

So it's a weepy day around here.  But weepy is not always a bad thing.  It feels like she's nearby.  If she was here, I'd be telling her all about this great book I'm just about finished with.  I'm sure I'd hand it off to her, after I read the last few pages.

1 comment: