Thursday, February 7, 2013

Jewelry Thief

One of my top 5 things to do, is go to estate sales looking for vintage jewelry, among other things.  When I see a listing and it says anything about having costume jewelry for sale, I'm there in a New York minute.

Unless it's over 30 minutes away.  I usually stay within that range from my house.

But today, I just couldn't resist making a drive to Allen for an estate sale that had pictures of some really cool earrings and brooches I wanted to get my hands all over!

When I pulled up to the house, there wasn't a sign in the yard.  Hmm.  Then I noticed a couple of cop cars.  Hmmmmmm. As I was opening my car door to get out, a man came over and told me the estate sale would be opening later in the day because there had been a burglary that night and the police were still on the scene.  And then he said the worst news of all, "Yeah...they got about 90% of the jewelry we had."

Um, WHAT?!?!

That is the worst kind of thief I can imagine- First of all, to steal from an elderly person (because based on all the vintage jewelry, I'm pretty sure this was the estate of some sweet little old lady with a whole lot of style!). Secondly, to steal from a stash of stuff that an estate sale company has spent their whole week organizing.   And lastly, and most importantly, stealing THE VINTAGE COSTUME JEWELRY!?! Are you kidding me?

I then drove the over 30 minute drive home (in fact, way over 30 minutes because I stopped off at two other estate sales...how could I not?!) Once I got there, I checked my mailbox to see if the jewelry I ordered from Etsy had arrived.  It hadn't.  So I got online to see how many days had passed since I had ordered.  Quite a few. Then I happened to notice the rating on that seller isn't so great.  I started reading some of the other buyers feedback and several of them have complained about not ever getting their purchases.  And never hearing back from the shop owner.  Several of them even went so far as to say in so many words, "This shop is a scam!"

Oh no.

What a day!

I'm so glad I stopped in at those other estate sales in so I still ended up coming home with some pretty trinkets to repurpose!
Vintage trinkets to repurpose for ReSparkable Vintage
This stamped "Made in Western Germany" necklace may have to stay just as it is- it's in such great condition and looks really special!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're killin' me with all these finds! I'm in LOVE with this last necklace made in West Germany!