Saturday, September 11, 2010

Refilling The Well

I think having a deadline with a creative task has been working well for me.  I've been keeping a pretty good pace, and establishing a practice of churning out new song ideas daily.  Creatively, I've felt pretty stretched.  I have noticed though, a lack of balance in my life.  Searching the depths of my mind for new songs takes up a lot of time for me lately, and has left little time for other things.

Having come this far along (40 songs in 70-something days), it would really wreck me if somehow,  my ideas just dried up and I couldn't make it to the very end. I've been a little crazed about "keeping up" over the past few days.  But really, I've written 40 songs now, since this all started on July 4th.  Even if I threw in the towel right now, (which I am NOT, by the way!) I'd feel pretty proud of my accomplishments.

Maybe the best thing for me at a time like this, as scary as it feels, is to just take a little break.  Get out there and live life a little more.  Have some new experiences.  And take a few days away from all this introspection I've been so immersed in over the past few months.

What a perfect time for a last minute trip to Seattle with my brother.  Just me and my brother.  He invited me a few days ago, and I said yes!  We've traveled together before and have found that we are great travel companions.  I'm accompanying him on a business trip, but the business part of things will be done by about noon on Monday, which will leave us a couple of days of all fun until we return to Dallas.


So I'm leaving my guitar behind.  And my  songwriting notebook.  They'll be waiting for me when I return.  And maybe I'll have refilled my well and I'll have more to offer up....

How do you refill your creative well?



20 comments:

Lisa said...

I've always wanted to go to Seattle - maybe one of these days. Have a wonderful trip!
I like to craft and scrapbook so I fill my creative well with flipping through crafty magazines, going to craft shows and stores and of course, surfing all the amazing crafty blogs out there.

jacqueline said...

Dearest Kerri, having a deadline with projects helps me too! Im so glad you are taking a break and enjoying your weekend! Have a wonderful merry happy trip! Love to you!

Unknown said...

I always do so much better when I take a little break! Have a delightful trip! XX!

Heather B. said...

Kerri, Have a wonderful trip. I'm sure you will come back inspired and ready to take on the remainder of your challenge.

Jadyn said...

Hope you have a great trip Kerri! I too find trips are a great way to clear the mind and make space for new creative juices to flow. Have fun!! Lots and lots of it... xo

Kelly Warren said...

Kerri, I think what you've accomplished so far is absolutely amazing! You should be proud of yourself! I get pulled away from the creative flow by force most of the time, simply because I'm working full-time and raising twin girls on top of my creative work. I find that during these times (like the past few weeks!) when I don't have any time for creative work because the day job is so hectic, that my mind starts to overflow with new ideas and I have to make sure I write them down or I'll most certainly forget! Have a wonderful trip! I've only been to Seattle once, but I really loved it.

Robin Norgren, M.A, R-YT, Spiritual Director said...

I love the idea of our life as a well that we need to make sure we are constantly engaging and refilling as needed. I hope this is one of those times for you. Stepping away to BREATHE and LIVE....we will see you back here soon.

danielle daniel said...

Enjoy your most deserved trip and fill yourself up!!! You have accomplished SO much in the last few months! FORTY songs is already INSANE! Here is a quote I heard just last week... Character is...Doing What You Said You Would Do Even After The Feeling Has Left You.

This is something I am dealing with as well as I near the final chapters of writing my book...

See you when you get back!

Danielle xo

Glenys said...

Wow! You play guitar and write songs. I just play the violin.

patty said...

Kerri, you totally need a break and a chance to refill the well and I think this is a great way!! Don't worry, you will get back to it when you are ready with new inspiration!! For me, travel and especially spending time in nature and hiking is what refills the well. Enjoy your time away - I'm sure it will be wonderful!

Laurie said...

Enjoy your visit! I hope you come home refreshed and refilled.

When I was writing songs, my biggest inspiration was just plain old people watching. I'd make up stories about people I saw on the street or worked with but really didn't know well and translate those into a song.

When I need refilled, I just putter...something bubbles to the surface eventually. :-)

Elizabeth Halt said...

I hope you're enjoying your visit!

I turn everything off and go outside for a walk around the neighborhood or for a hike in the woods. Something will bubble up eventually.

Anonymous said...

lovely song, relax and have a great time in Seattle. I love the photos of the peacocks too. it looked like someone's back yard or a street.

Dyan said...

Kerry I think it's amazing that you've written so much thus far - it really is a lot! Sometimes I find that I do become creatively stretched so to speak but the irony is that I am most creative when I put deadlines and set goals and when I become overwhelmed a little break like going to see a movie or having ice cream replenishes me and I can continue on.

Blue Moon Mama said...

40 songs is such a huge accomplishment!! Way to go!

Bubblebaths and reading creative books & magazines help me refill. Walks in nature, picnics, sitting near water & naps with my baby all work wonders.

malia said...

hi kerri! you're heading to my neck of the woods... let me know if you need restaurant/cute shop recommendations! and i'd love it if you'd link up one one those 40 songs to my creative linky party "a crafty soiree" www.yesterdayontuesday.com xoxo

Lori said...

yay! I LOVE Seattle! Have such a great time and I am sure you will come back filled with creative energy and focus.

xo

Amanda Trought said...

Hey Kerri, great to see you are going to get a well deserved, youve come a long way since July and and done so well. Enjoy the trip.

Amandax

Jo said...

I always appreciate having a 'deadline' - it so helps me to stay focused or else I tend to drift.

You have achieved SO much and I'm pleased that you are rewarding yourself with a total break from it all, if only for a few days. Wishing you much refreshment, renewed energy, lots of fun and many blessings, Kerri.
Hugs xxx

jacqueline said...

Dearest sweet Kerri, came to visit you and your very inspiring music! I hope all is well and that you are doing great! Have alovely merry happy weekend and love to yoU!