Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Santa Exposed!


I was at Northpark mall last week- on Wednesday, before Thanksgiving. It was early in the afternoon and although it wasn't as crowded as I'm sure the mall is by now, after Thanksgiving, there were lots of people there- including lots of little kids.
Obviously, the mall was already decorated with holiday stuff- Lights, trees, candy canes, gingerbread houses, etc. In one of the little "houses", I saw a man with white hair, and a long white beard, wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

The man was taking books and stuffed animals out of a bag putting them out in the little room he was in. I wondered, "Is that Santa?!"

So I went over and asked him, "Excuse me, are you Santa?" And he said yes. I asked him what he was doing. He didn't really answer so I just said, "Are you just getting things ready?" I'm not even sure he answered me. Then I asked him how long he's been Santa. He said, "Ma'am, there are kids all around, so be careful about what you're asking." Um, hello?? Santa? If the jig is up here, it's not my fault. Isn't Santa is suppose to be wearing his red suit? Isn't he suppose to be jolly? And what about that twinkle in his eye?

Not sure why that guy couldn't figure out if he didn't want to be seen out of costume, maybe showing up in the Santa house on a crowded afternoon at the mall wasn't his best idea. Maybe being grouchy also wasn't doing much for his image either.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one a little disenchanted by "Santa" that day. But I know that guy isn't the real Santa. That guy was just an impostor. The real one is up at the North Pole making sure the elves get everything good and ready by Christmas morning...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree with you,even if christmas still takes a few months...I'm already waiting and counting....