Thursday, December 3, 2009

Down with Diet Coke


It's been over a month and a half since I've had a Diet Coke. I don't want to get too cocky about it, because I've given it up before, only to return to it. But I do want to give myself a little high five!

On the day I stopped drinking it, I didn't say, "Never again." I just promised myself, "Not for one month." That made it seem much easier. Once the month was up, I was so proud of myself I just wanted to continue (to discontinue). I still don't think of it as having given it up forever. But each day I'm able to choose not to drink it. So far, so good. One day at a time, Sweet Jesus! ;)

There were definitely some times I have been very tempted: Going to the movies and getting popcorn, but no Diet Coke- that was a tough one. The first time I ate Mexican food and just had a water as my beverage. Every now and then, when I see other people sipping on a soft drink that looks oh so refreshing... But those feelings of temptations pass. And then, when it's all said and done, I'm so happy I have resisted.

Although I haven't noticed significant changes, there are some subtle things that have happened since I stopped using. For one, I drink more water, and therefore, I know my body must be better hydrated. Secondly, although I've rarely had a headache lately, if I do, I know the cause isn't related to caffeine or Diet Coke. Thirdly, and most charming, is knowing that I do have will power... that I can give something up that I think isn't the best thing for me.

High five!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good for you- that's a tough one.