Friday, April 17, 2009

Rated PG-4

I try to keep this blog clean. I try to avoid offending anyone. Maybe this stems from my past as a 1st grade teacher.

But I just have to report what I watched on Oprah last night. I woke up at 3AM (always fun!), couldn't back to sleep, so I decided to watch the Oprah that had been recorded. It was a follow up show about teenage sex, and how parents should talk to their kids about sex.

There were lots of points made on the show, and for the most part I agreed with what the sex therapist was advocating- talking to your kids about sex, not making it seem taboo, etc. But I was caught a little off guard by a woman who called in asking if it was normal that her 4 year old daughter masturbated to the point of being sweaty and having an increased heart rate. The therapist said, that yes, that is normal and that she's probably just sweaty because she was getting close to the big O. (And I don't mean Oprah) REALLY??? Is that normal?

And that, my friends, is yet another reason why I think I'm a far better dog-parent than I would be a child-parent. I get annoyed when my dogs lick themselves and yell at them to stop. (Ew. Sorry Zoe, sorry Scout.) I could not be comfortable with or supportive of my 4 year old child jacking off during bedtime storytime.

No comments: