Sunday, February 8, 2009

Regrets, I've Had a Few...

One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't get involved in ANYTHING in high school. I wasn't on any team, I wasn't in band or orchestra, I wasn't on drill team, in choir, or in drama. I was in a huge graduating class of over 800 people. And because I didn't get myself out there, I never really seemed to fit in anywhere.

I chose not to try out for anything because I was afraid I'd make a fool out of myself and that I wouldn't be accepted. And might instead be laughed at. So I did the safest, most boring thing of all--- I did nothing.

For the past two weekends, I've attended high school musical productions. Friday night I went to my alma mater, J.J. Pearce, and saw Footloose. It was fantastic. The musical itself was great, and the singing and dancing and all the music were so well done. I was not only impressed by all the talent, but by all the confidence those kids on stage had!

I shared my regret of having never been in drama with my friend that night as we sat in the audience during intermission. And somehow, we came up with the idea of getting involved in community theater. Right now I can't think of anything else that sounds so fun, funny and scary all at the same time which sort of tells me I MUST check into it.

I'm not sure how many people start thinking about getting involved in theater at the innocent age of 39, but I'm sure I'm not the only one. And I really don't care anymore. I'm older and wiser than I was back in high school and now I know I would rather try and fail, then not try at all.

So I challenge you to think of something you have, until now, been too scared to try. Just take the first step and find out something about it. My first step is just to get on the internet and find out where some adult theater classes are. What's your first step?

1 comment:

Glen K said...

I AM! I'm going to be a freelance photographer. Well, at least until the financial markets return.... :)

Yeah, I totally see you singing your way through Mama Mia or Fiddler on the Roof.....

I did the polar opposite in High School. I was in EVERYTHING. From band to sports to the yearbook. Probably why I'm a Jack of all trades now without a clear specialty!!! Ha!

Pocket Theater, here you come!