Monday, September 8, 2008

"America the Beautiful"


I went and saw this documentary at the Angelika on Friday.
Nope, it's not anything patriotic, but is instead a look at how grossly obsessed we are with physical beauty- specifically of women- in our country.

This is always an interesting topic for me. As ridiculous as I know it all is, I too get sucked into it.

While watching this movie I was thinking about damage I would cause my daughter, if I had one, by my own issues with my self image. Little girls pick up on that. If their mom thinks she herself isn't thin enough, or pretty enough, the child will take all of that in. And she too will struggle with those same issues.

But most of this beauty nonsense comes from the media. The documentary had a short segment about what a model looked like when she first came into make-up, and then how the ad looked once they made her up, and then photo-shopped her photograph. The lady doesn't even look like the model that she is!

Good documentary- Great food for thought-

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Thanks for posting this. I looked it up to see if it's playing here in DC, and there happens to be a screening on Wednesday. I'm going to see if I can get my sister to go.

Do you ever watch "How to Look Good Naked" on the lifetime channel? They just had an episode with a mother/daughter, and sure enough, the mom's negative views of her own body had transferred to her 18-year-old daugther who looked gorgeous and had a great body, but was intent on losing 10 pounds.

It's definitely a fascinating topic. Thanks again.