Monday, August 4, 2008

Back to the Grind


My neighbors have returned from their trip, which means my vacation is over. I was in charge of watering their plants. Which also put me in charge of swimming at their pool each day. Sometimes a couple of times a day, actually.

A few days, I took Zoe and Scout over there with me. My girls are NOT big fans of water. But they are big fans of ME, so they followed me to the pool for the first few days. After a couple of days of 150 degree temperatures, they told me they'd rather just stay inside our air conditioned house than sniff around in someone else's yard.

It's not that I'm a big swimmer. Or a sunbather. But I'm a reader. And I'm a napper. And really, that's what "being at the pool" is all about. But it sounds less lazy to say, "I hung out at the pool for a couple of hours today" than "I read a page of my book and then napped on a raft for 2 (or 3)hours."

The napping was absolutely exhausting. I had very little energy most of the week beyond just walking diagonally across the street to my neighbor's pool. WHEW! And all that plant watering! In the evenings, I was usually too tired (and too prune-y) to take my typical 45 minute bath.

They've returned from Florida, and I've returned to a more normal routine, which no longer includes the 2 hour naps at the pool.

Tonight I went over to their house to return their garage door opener. They gave me a "thank you" gift for taking care of the plants. A candle, and a book I've been wanting to read. Believe, me- I deserved it! It was hard, grueling work!

Anyway, vacation's over. Now it's back to my bathtub!

No comments: