Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Dark Knight

After my brother saw the movie "IronMan", he gave it such a rave review and insisted that I go see it, even tho it's not "my kind of movie". So I saw it. And it was...
"not my kind of movie". I probably enjoyed even less because I had walked in with that higher expectation, set by my brother.

He was suppose to go with me to see "Dark Knight" earlier this week, but snuck off with someone else and went with out me. Then he left me a voicemail saying, "It was SUCH a waste of time. And I didn't even think Heath Ledger was all that great in it." So even tho I had read all the great reviews, and saw that it got a 96% approval on the Rotten Tomatoes site (which is my favorite place to decide if I want to go see a particular movie or not), my expectations were somewhat lowered by my brother's comments.

Even tho this movie was also "not my kind of movie", I loved it. It's true what everyone (beside my brother) has been saying about Heath Ledger's performance- very impressive. He is the creepiest villain I've seen in a long time. Since Hannibal Lector, I think. And the statement the movie makes about good and evil in the world is so powerful. It was just a great, great movie. So highly entertaining that the 2 1/2 hours flew by. It may be a Batman movie, but it certainly isn't for kids. It's pretty violent and serious.

As soon as I got home, I logged on to blockbuster.com and added "Batman Begins" to my queue. It has the same director and the same Batman- Christian Bale- who I thought was perfectly cast.

It's so NOT like me to love this kind of movie. Maybe that lowered expectation I had walking into the theater really was an advantage. Or maybe it was just a great movie.

No comments: