Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Disconnect

Now that I think back on it, I don't remember seeing many cell phones while on my vacation. I think on many of those islands, it's hard to get service. Now that I'm back in Dallas, I am SO AWARE of how out-of-control the whole cell phone thing seems to be. I notice many people walking their dogs or pushing their kids in strollers at White Rock Lake with their cell phone attached to their heads. When I was at lunch today at Mockingbird station, I noticed many people on their phones on my walk to and from the restaurant. And so there were no friendly hellos from or to strangers. Then of course, while at lunch, cell phones. Even at my own table. Urgh. I notice that by being more "connected" we are all really less connected.

The lady in front of me at Target today was on her cell phone during her whole transaction. The people at my Target are actually pretty unfriendly and they rarely talk to customers anyway, but when someone is on a cell phone, why WOULD they want to interupt? And so, everyone stays in their own little cell phone world.

And then on the flip side, there's me. Equally annoying to others, perhaps. I HAVE a cell phone. But it's really more of a message center. I rarely answer it and have an aversion to talking on it. So my friends will ask, "DO you EVER answer you cell phone?" These days, if someone can't get in touch with you immediatly, they think something is wrong. But I don't want to talk on my phone when I'm with other friends, or shopping, or on a walk with my dogs. I want to notice things around me! I want my dogs to know that when I'm with them, there's nowhere else I'd rather be! And I want to say hi to strangers that cross my path!

No comments: