Monday, June 18, 2007

Birthday Week


Today isn't my birthday, however it is the beginning of my Birthday Week.

My husband makes fun of me that I start announcing my upcoming birthday well before it has arrived. Actually, I really haven't done this so much in the last several years, but since he still tells it that way, I might as well live up to it.

Now that I'm getting a little older, I'm not so big on announcing the actual AGE I'm turning- But I think each year I'm here, really IS a reason to celebrate. I am grateful for the years I've accumulated so far.

I can remember being a kid, and my mom was in her 30s/40s , and I would think how cool it would be to be her age. I thought it would mean I'd really feel sure of myself, and not care so much about what other people thought. THAT'S what I thought growing older was all about.

But here I am, in my 30s, and it's really not what I had expected. A lot of things don't feel much different than they did when I was 8! At times, in certain situations, I'm still very unsure of myself. I still probably worry too much about what other people think of me. But some of the great things about not feeling I've matured equally to my years: I'm still very excited by this life, I know I still have tons of things to look forward to, and millions of things to learn.

And so begins my birthday week. The actual DAY if June 24. Just like most things in life, I like the build-up almost as much as the actual event. Just like a vacation. I LOVE the several weeks before a big trip. Talking about it, dreaming about it, planning it out, counting the days until- I love that kind of anticipation. So even if it's just for my birthday, I'm gonna do it! Bring on all the bells and whistles...

2 comments:

Rrramone said...

Then let me be the first to say Happy Birthday! I want to take you for a birthday lunch if your dance card isn't too full. :-)

It was a glorious day when you showed up on the planet.

Monica said...

Happy birthday, my long lost friend! Hope you had a great day!

Monica