Thursday, April 5, 2007

It's Ok To Wimp Out

Today I started off on my run and it just felt crummy. But I tried reminding myself that once I'm just 10 minutes into it, I'll feel totally different. But I didn't. And so at 15 minutes, I cut the run short and I think for the first time ever, I turned around and began walking my way home. And even still, NOT FUN. I felt funky. And all the thoughts I was turning over in my head seemed negative.

I decided to start running again. This was all just a mental thing I was going thru. When I got to my spot that I usually start walking to cool down, I was glad this run/walk was over. And I was feeling like a failure of sorts. I shortened my run. I walked part of it. I had a crummy mental attidude. It was a beautiful day for a run, but I killed it.

When I got home and checked my blood sugar, I realized it was pretty low. Too low to be running. This perhaps explained why I never got to feeling better as time and distance went further. I also realized that even on a bad day, I had knocked out about 3 miles. So I don't suck so completely after all.

Maybe some days, its okay to wimp out of a run. And maybe its even ok to just blow off the run altogether until its something you WANT to do. Like AFTER you eat blueberries and strawberries and the blood sugar is back UP!

No comments: