Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Thankful

There are so many things I take for granted, and then something reminds me to be thankful.

I went to see a movie (a really depressing one at that!) and made a pitstop before walking into the theatre. As I was walking out of the bathroom, an older woman and man were coming in. As soon as the man spotted me, he asked if I could help the woman get into the restoom. As we walked in to the VERY well lit restroom, the lady commented on how dark it was. Then as we were RIGHT next to a bathroom stall she asked me where the bathrooms were. It was obvious this lady was nearly blind.

I realized I recognized her from Garden Club. I remember a few years ago knowing that she was 90-something, which makes her 90-something-even-more now. I introduced myself to her as she washed her hands. (Which by the way was VERY difficult and confusing since the faucet and soap dispenser are motion-activated.) Then, as we walked out she asked me where "her friend John" went...He had walked up and was right beside us. So she introduced me to her friend, John and told him we she and I were in the same Garden Club, even tho she has since moved out of our neighborhood and into a retirement home. John was equally unsteady on his feet and his hands were shaking. I asked them what movie they were seeing, and it happened to be the same one I was seeing. We then said our goodbyes and we were off to the movies.

I watched them walk into the theatre wondering HOW they were going to do it. I was ready to run down and help if they looked like they needed it. But they somehow took their seats on the second row. During the movie, it occured to me, that if one of them needed to use the restroom, I don't think they could find their way out in the dark.

As I was watching the movie, I was very aware anytime the F word was used. Usually I am completely unaware, unoffended, etc. by language, and seldom do I refer to it as "the F word", but I was so bothered that the older couple might not like it...

The movie was all about dying. It was sad to me, of course. But then I started thinking about how much more sad it might be if I was closer to the end of life...Urgh. It just made me feel bad, and sad... I felt like my grandparents were in the room with me. (I actually don't have any grandparents left, but if I did, I guess they'd be about that age) I wanted to run down the aisle, sit beside them, cover their ears during bad language or sad talks of death, and help them find their way out if/when they wanted to leave.

Sometimes I agonize over MY aging. But, GOD!!! I am NOT old. I've got years of lots of good stuff all in front of me. I can walk great, I can even run!!!, I've got great vision..don't even need glasses! And when I see a movie about the end of life, it mainly makes me miss my mom- I don't relate on the level of "This will be me within a few years..."

No comments: