Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Detox

I don't know how it got to this point. It began so innocently, but yesterday I think I realized my dependence on Diet Coke.

Other than Diet Coke, I take in pretty healthy foods and beverages. I don't know how bad DC (from here on out, DC = Diet Coke) is, but I figure it can't be good and I realize that I feel a twinge of guilt when I have it. Because of the guilt, I often drink a lot of water to dilute the previous DC.

But yesterday at lunch, I started thinking, maybe I should just stop drinking it. For a week. I said it out loud to make myself feel more committed. And just like any other addict must feel, I felt unsure if I really wanted to stop. I know it isn't good for me, but I enjoy it so! And then after my husband's response, I realized my dependence on DC might not be normal. "A week? Is that a big deal for you?"

Well yes, it is. How did I get here? How did I get to the point that not ordering a DC for ONE WEEK wigs me out? It seems that if I quit COLD COKE TURKEY for a week, then I'll see that I'm better off with just water. And then maybe once in a blue moon I'll treat myself. But I think that's how this got started in the first place. I use to not drink one each day. But little by little, it became a daily habit. So although right now the committment is for just one week, the plan is to change the habit for the long-term. I think.

No comments: