Tuesday, September 26, 2006

In Charge!

I have been going to so many appoinments due to this neck/spine pain over the past couple of weeks that it's has sort of become my full-time job. Yesterday I went to 3 different appointments and when you figure in driving and waiting time, I spent about 2 hours per appointment or more...YIKES, that just about IS about a full-time job. Except I'm paying OUT money, and not getting any coming in.

But I am happy to say, I think I've found the right person to really help me. I think I've found the BEST physical therapist! He wasn't an alarmist- There are things "we" (us now, ME later) can do. He told me that he doesn't treat pictures (MRIs, X-RAYS, etc.) but instead comes up with a treatment plan based on how I'm doing/feeling.

One doctor looked at my pictures and acted as if he had never seen anything like this crazy spine of mine and made me feel like I was in danger just walking around. That's never cool!!! I went to enough people to know what sounds right to me, and what just doesn't.

The reason I think I've found MY GUY is because he doesn't have just ONE approach- He has lots. Stretching, lifting, heating, traction,... Stuff he's showing me but that I can do on my own.

And that's just how I like things. I like handling stuff on my own. That's why diabetes is such a great disease for me- It's something I am totally in control of and as long as I stay on top of it, I keep things nice and tight. It's when I get lazy that I run into problems. But I don't usually have a problem with laziness. I don't need someone besides me to be accountable to. That's also why I love running, reading, writing, songwriting, cooking....

I never liked working in groups when I was in school. Labs were a big turn off for the very reason of having a lab partner. I've never wanted to have work out partners to meet up with at the gym. I've never wanted or needed a running buddy.

So, now I've found yet another little project that although I'll get help with initially, I think I'll be able to work things out more or less on my own and I love the thought of that. I'll be back in charge!

1 comment:

Glen K said...

So glad you've found your answer! Sounds like a great approach. You hadn't had a comment to your blog entries lately, so I thought I'd throw one in for good measure. Will miss hearing you at Cafe Lago this week - it's OPENING DAY at the fair on Friday and that's where I'll be headed with young one in tow! Here's to a healthy neck and exercising alone . . . . . . :)